5.09.2011

A Day to Celebrate being a Mother

My first Mother's Day weekend (yes, I am giving myself an entire weekend) started off pretty rocky. Riley had her first fall off the bed. A fall, forehead first onto the concrete floor below. I had my back turned for just a second, and was even sitting on the bed, but before I knew it I heard a smack and there she was on the floor crying harder than ever before. I have never been so scared and horrible in my life, I scooped her up and felt around her head for any bumps and just rocked and cuddled her. I knew this day would come, as much as I thought I would prevent it, it happens, babies fall off beds. I talked to the doctor's office a few times to make sure I didn't need to take her in to the emergency room and they assured me that as long as she was acting normal, she would be fine and that this happens all the time. I still feel bad about it though.

Long before Riley was born, or even conceived, I already felt a relationship with my daughter and responsibility as a mother. It might sound weird, but I have always felt I would have a daughter first and now that she is here it honestly feels like she has always been with me. I have grown so much in the past year, learned so much about myself and what I am capable of, all of which would not have been possible without my sweet babe. I love Riley more than anything in this world and am so feel so lucky that I am her one and only mama. Happy mother's day to all of those mom's out there and especially to my mom who continues to teach me so much about being a mother.
5 Generations! Clockwise from the left: My mom, Great-Grandma, Grandma, me and Riley

1 comment:

  1. 5 generations wow that is incredible! Such a precious little family :)

    ReplyDelete